Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Heart Beats For Them

Danny and Claire (3 months old)
Since Claire came into the world, my sleep has been disrupted to say the least. She is 17 months old and still wakes up at least three times throughout the night to eat, all while sleeping sideways next to me in the bed. Up until Claire was 15 months old, I was able to count the number of hours Danny and I have slept next to each other since she was born. His bed was our little apartment sized couch because he had to be up at 6:30 in the morning. The norm was saying goodnight with a wave while I slipped into the bedroom to feed a crying, hungry babe.

So, these last two months since Claire has learned to sleep in her crib (which is two feet away from our bed) for naps and the first four hour stretch of the night has been different. I forgot that people sometimes cuddle in bed when they are going to sleep. We still have to whisper (almost silently) if we want to communicate while lying in bed. At least we are getting a little closer to normal.

Last night we were lying in bed trying to fall asleep and for the first time in over a year I could feel Danny's heartbeat. There is something special about feeling or hearing another person's heartbeat. It is so personal. It made me slow down for a second and appreciate him being there, and realize how much I had missed him while he had been snoring on the couch the last year. It also reminded me of the first time I had felt Claire's tiny heart beating after she was born.

You have to be so close to someone in order to feel their heart beating. You have to be quiet and still. It almost feels primal to me. Feeling this organ that is pumping life throughout my husband and daughter. It reminds me that they are individuals with their own thoughts, loves, and hardships just like me. It makes me want to hug hem and give them extra kisses. Most importantly, it makes me thankful that we are all healthy and here together. Love those two!


Our trendy dancing tunes around here lately:



2 comments:

  1. Love this post! As hard as it is at times, it's totally worth it. Love your blog! Miss you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Liz! I miss you guys so much! I hope you are doing so so well out there. And you are right, it is totally worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete